realplayer and hardware

Jason Clinton jasonclinton at kcpipeband.org
Mon Mar 24 19:13:27 CST 2003

rod holcomb wrote:
> Situation:
> Pentium 90 server, with a ISA soundcard (Logitec Waveman),  roadrunner internet provider, command
line only, no X windows system.
> I=92ve just gotten realplayer to work on this machine by also installing a program called
trplayer.  trplayer allows realplayer to be ran from the command line.

> After a reboot I have to manually do the following
> chmod 666 /dev/audio
> chmod 666 /dev/mixer
> chmod 666 /dev/dsp
> ( the previous lines added to rc.local doesn=92t seem to work)
>
> Problem:
> The  following 16 and 32 bit streams of audio
> http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_16.ram
> and
> http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_32.ram
> play just fine.
>
> The 64 and 128 bit streams
> http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_64.ram
> and
> http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_128.ram
> will not start and trplayer returns and error along the lines of
>
> =93the requested devise is unavailable or in use be another application=2E=94

My guess is that you have a old or outdated sound card driver running
that cannot understand how to pass 44kHz, 16 bit stereo audio to the
sound card. (Or your sound card is really outdated.)

Have you tried ALSA?

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.