realplayer and hardware

rod holcomb rodbrenda.2 at gbronline.com
Mon Mar 24 18:43:51 CST 2003

Situation:
Pentium 90 server, with a ISA soundcard (Logitec Waveman),  roadrunner internet provider, command
line only, no X windows system.
I’ve just gotten realplayer to work on this machine by also installing a program called trplayer.
trplayer allows realplayer to be ran from the command line.

After a reboot I have to manually do the following
chmod 666 /dev/audio
chmod 666 /dev/mixer
chmod 666 /dev/dsp
( the previous lines added to rc.local doesn’t seem to work)

Problem:
The  following 16 and 32 bit streams of audio
http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_16.ram
and
http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_32.ram
play just fine.

The 64 and 128 bit streams
http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_64.ram
and
http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_128.ram
will not start and trplayer returns and error along the lines of

“the requested devise is unavailable or in use be another application.”

These same streams will play fine through my PII 300 Windows98 machine running the RealOne player.

Questions:
Does anyone else have a similar setup (maybe not limited to using the command line) and could check
to see if these stream play on your hardware.

Are there any other devises that I need to chmod to?  I don’t know why the listed devises above
alway go back to only root rw  on reboot.

I’m considering replacing this server with either a Pentium 200 with an onboard soundcard or a PII
300 and a PCI soundcard but before I do this I would like to know if the nature of the problem is a
lack of processor and/or soundcard power.

How much improvement could I expect to hear with a better sound card?
How much would I have to spend?
I currently have the lineout going to the home stereo and the speakerout line going to some little
powered speakers. Would a better soundcard be able to completely separate the amount of signal sent
to each of these.  Currently the command line aumix  program shows volume changes for each but in
reality the line-out seems to be effected by changes to the master volume.

Thanks