Neighborhood "portal" or tiny ISP-type web app

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Mar 14 17:51:17 CST 2003

I am interested in setting up a small website for my neighborhood
(Potwin Place, a late 1800's Victorian neighborhood in Topeka).

In addition to some static content (history, house pictures, etc.), I'd
really like to be able to support a few "advanced" features:

- User accounts:  This would only be for neighborhood residents...manual
account creation is OK, but it would be nice if users could reset
passwords and such themselves.

- Authorized downloads:  I maintain the directory, and would like to put
PDF's online for download, but they should not be publically accessible.

- Runs on "typical" web-server:  I can setup pretty much anything on my
own servers, but if for some reason I leave the neighborhood, I'd like
something that would be pretty easy to setup on a typical web-hosting
account.

Bonus features:
- E-mail forwarding:  I'd like to let folks be able to create
user at potwin.org e-mail accounts.  All mail to one of these accounts
would be forwarded to a "real" e-mail account (ie: I don't need web
based e-mail access or anything, just the ability to manage a forwarding
address).

- User can modify their own contact information (phone # & e-mail
addresses).  Did I mention I maintin the neighborhood directory? :)

I know I'll probabaly have to code some stuff myself to get exactly the
features I want, but I'd really like to leverage an existing web
application (especially for the user accounts & authentication stuff),
and I figure there have to be tons of this sort of thing out there already.

Any suggestions for something that might work well for this kind of
application?

I'd probably prefer an apache/php/mysql type of solution since that's
what I'm most familiar with (and unlike perl, php doesn't look like
jibberish to me), but am open to anything, even if it means buying some
new O'Reilly books on perl. :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net