Linux at UMKC

Jason Clinton jasonclinton at kcpipeband.org
Mon Mar 10 15:49:24 CST 2003

Gerald Combs wrote:
> I'm talking about parsifal.umkc.edu.  It was a DECstation 5000 with a 20
> or 25 MHz MIPS processor running Ultrix.  I remember it clearly, because
> it the was the first Unix machine on which I had the root password.  For
> all I know, it's still sitting in the closet at the end of the hall in the
> basement of Cockefair.  Its successor was the 3000 with an Alpha processor
> that you're thinking of.

Well, it's confirmed. The USENET server is gone. It was taken down from
lack of use. Before it was gone, though, you could access it from
outside the university campus.

I guess I could scan then entire 134.193.x.x octets for an active NNTP
server (there might just be a rouge one out there) but I'll have to
think about it.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.