HTML Convertors/Generators

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 4 23:25:17 CST 2003

Quoting Jason Clinton <clintonj at umkc.edu>:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > I want to be able to convert an MS Word 97 or 2000 document to
> > reasonably clean HTML that can be hacked by a sysadmin in a text
> editor.
>
> ...JEdit and HTML-KIT for Windoze ...

Do you know if they'll take a Word file as input, or do they rely on taking
an "HTML" file as produced by word.  I really don't think HTML Tidy is up to
the horrors that are created by Word 2000.

> > Failing that, we once again open the call for HTML editors for Linux.

> JEdit ... bluefish ... quanta ... Kate

How about some relative merits?  One of the problems often cited about major
linux distros is that they throw all of these different tools for the same job
at you, and your only option is to spend hours learning one, then hours
learning another, then another, then choose.  I mean, anybody can do a search
on Freshmeat and come up with a list of programs, but which is worth spending
the time learning?

I'm leaning a bit toward Bluefish, but will look at JEdit since it's cross-
platform.

> And why are you using Word?

Not using Word, per se.  Receiving Word documents that want to be HTML.