HTML Convertors/Generators

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Tue Mar 4 22:27:48 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I want to be able to convert an MS Word 97 or 2000 document to
> reasonably clean HTML that can be hacked by a sysadmin in a text editor.

Both JEdit and HTML-KIT for Windoze have HTML Tidy built in and allow
the purging of 'extra MSWORD cruft' (as they put it) from HTML files.

HTML-KIT is especially nice for newbies but JEdit is really nice for
writting JavaScript, HTML, PHP, Perl or XML.

> Failing that, we once again open the call for HTML editors for Linux.

JEdit (which has syntax highlighting, HTML autocomplete, JTidy, and FTP
plugins), bluefish (GTK based), quanta (QT based), Kate (syntax
highlighting and FTP browser builting) are excellent, mature HTML editor
solutions for Linux. HTML editing on Linux far surpases that of Windows.

And why are you using Word? OpenOffice Writer writes pretty bad HTML but
it's lightyears ahead of Word.

If all else fails and you simply insist on using a WYSIWYG editor,
Mozilla Composer writes fully compiant HTML and a CSS add-on is just
around the corner.

(and you said I was a competent end user! ha!)

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.