X Windows Config

Eric R. rossiter at discoverynet.com
Fri Jan 31 19:26:37 CST 2003

Here's a couple of other things to try.

Login at the command line as root and type setup.  Try your X
configuration from there.

_And/Or_

cd to /etc/X11 and copy XF86Config-4 to XF86Config-4.bck then delete
XF86Config-4.  I believe XF86Config is a template and XF86Config-4 is
the config file.  If memory serves me, this may force a reconfig of X.

Sounds like your install of X might have abbended.  You might just try a
re-install of Linux, reinstall X, and do not choose to boot to graphical
mode (imho).

Is this an old video card or a reasonably new one?  You might try
skipping the auto-probe if you have an older graphics card.

Also, if you decide to re-install and get the little mini-screen when
you switch back out of video setup, you might try ctrl + alt + + or - to
see if you have any other available video modes to select from.