X Windows Config

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Fri Jan 31 20:11:04 CST 2003

The _best_ way to go about it is to have XFree86 configure itself. Su to root
and then type:

# XFree86 -configure

This will generate a file called XF86Config.new in your current directory. Test
the config file by typing this as root (make sure X isn't already running - you
may need to change your init level if you use xdm or else just CTL-ALT-BKSP):

# XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new

A vanilla X session will pop up (no window manager) if all is working.
CTL-ALT-BKSP to exit. Edit the XF86Config.new file and add any special
keyboard/mouse and video card options. I believe Redhat uses the XF86Config-4
file if it exists but falls back on XF86Config if it doesn't. So rename
XF86Config-4 to XF86Config-4.bak and then copy XF86Config.new to XF86Config-4
( in /etc/X11 directory btw).