apache configuration

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 16 16:35:30 CST 2003

I think you need this:

#
# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.
#
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.php3 index.shtml index.cgi
index.pl index.htm Default.htm default.htm
</IfModule>

Mine's in /etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf.  This says that when someone
just gives a directory name as the URL path, look for these files in
this order and bring up the first one you find.

To create the pages, I use a text editor called Nedit (www.nedit.org).
 There really is nothing like the flexibility of programming it all
yourself.  For basic page layout, netscape/mozilla composer is easy to
use and I've heard good things about bluefish.  However, none of them
let you do anything meaningful with web programming languages like
Python/PHP/Perl, so that's why I normally just program everything by
hand.  If you want some examples of PHP code, I have plenty.

Regards,

    Tony