What to do?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sun Jan 12 17:23:14 CST 2003

This is a very interesting area of law, but the advice is good.  Stay
away.

I believe the FCC has preemptive authority over all transmission related
activities, so just driving around looking for digital broadcasts is not
illegal, as long as you don't disclose any of the information
transmitted.  (This is a seldom enforced law, because if it were, EVERY
radio and TV station would immediately lose it's license for using
police scanners to keep track of breaking news - but I digress.)

However, if you use the radio spectrum for illegal use, the FCC can come
down on you.  This means that instead of municipal or (perhaps) state
charges for the infraction, you would be looking at federal charges - IF
they were able to figure out who you are, where you live and can place
you in the vicinity with enough certainty.

If you seriously want to help, send an anonymous printed note to the
company with your suggestions and leave it at that.  (Wear gloves)