Customizing Mozilla Mail

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Jan 7 22:03:55 CST 2003

Jared Smith wrote:
> Did you get this section of the mozilla docs?
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#keys
>
> It led me to /mozilla/res/builtin/ which has a couple of rather
> intuitive files, HTMLBindings.xml and PlatformHTMLBindings.xml

Yeah, I got there a couple days ago with google, but everything seems to
be oriented to the web server (with occasional references to the editor,
which looks to me like "composer", or the HTML editor).  I'm trying to
find where stuff for the mail portion is defined, which seems far less
documented.

> The _cmd that might work for you is gonna show up by
> searching http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.0/

I tried some of that, with the links from the customizing page, and got
immediately and utterly lost (perhaps it's because I'm currently working
on a microcontroller project I'm writing in forth, but everything just
looked like so many floating tags, with no interrlationship).

I've had better luck today, when I found out that WinZip will unpack the
*.jar files, and I started sifting through the files with grep.  I found
several places key bindings are defined, although with an additional
layer of indirection (ie: "&markAsReadCmd.key;" instead of "M", below):

<key id="key_toggleRead" key="&markAsReadCmd.key;"
oncommand="goDoCommand('cmd_markAsRead');"/>

This snippit came from mailWindowOverlay.xul, from the messenger.jar
file in the chrome directory, and it looks like somewhere in this file
(or in the *MANY* other .xul and .js files containted in messenger.jar)
I can add the KB Shortcut I want, but it will probably take me a day or
two to figure out exactly how, and I'm too busy to tackle that right now.

I'll also still have to find the command to move a message to a folder,
and figure out how to tell it I want it moved to the "SPAM" folder,
rather than have it pop up a selector box like it does now, which
requires several navagation clicks to pick the SPAM sub-folder.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net