JUNO plus WINE, anyone?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Aug 29 07:36:19 CDT 2003

I've been advocating Linux as an alternative to people for years.

One major sticking point is that I know a lot of very poor people,
retirees and low-income families, who use free JUNO E-Mail to keep in
touch with their friends and relatives.  Telling them that they would
have to give up JUNO tends to wipe out their smiles at hearing advantages
of Linux (such as no more regular crash "schedule") and they tell me they
can't do without their JUNO.  Like Microsoft keeps discovering, you can't
really fight against free.

I tried it on my home dual-boot 850Mhz Duron, and got errors in WINE
about "stub functions".  Now, I recently tried to install the same JUNO
software on the Windows98 partition of my dual-boot machine, and got
similar errors, so I'm going to be trying it out on other systems.  It
installed fine on the Win98 partition of a test Windows98/Linux machine I
just created, so hopefully I can eventually get it running on the Linux
half.

Most of the information I've found on the Internet suggests that the
earliest version of JUNO, the one which was E-mail only and fit on a
1.44MB floppy, did work with WINE.  The JUNO corporation, on the other
hand, no longer accepts the older version of JUNO.

Has anyone else gotten JUNO working on Linux?