Suggestions on best distro to install on this box.

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Tue Aug 26 18:15:32 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 12:24 pm, Duane Attaway wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:
> > Right now we have a Win2K box that I am considering installing Linux on
> > (actually not considering - is a done deal, just need suggestions), but
> > I'm not sure which distro might be the best for the need.
>
> Mandrake is good.  It installs easy and just works.  I like Suse as well.
> But redhat seemed funny when trying to update and install applications.
> But for the ease of installing and using diverse multimedia applications,
> I found there is no match for gentoo.
>
> Is gentoo stable?  I think so:
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.net/up/graph?site=coyote.dattaway.org

I'd stay away from gentoo on a 366, if only because gentoo is source based and
that would take forever to update. If you have another computer you can use
to do all the compiling for you, or use distcc, it's not so bad.

In fact, my only beef with Gentoo is the constant compiling. I hear there's
experimental support in Portage for binary packages, but if those packages
are anything like the GRP, I find the USE flags to be lacking. Oh well, this
is a source based distro I'm talking about. Maybe it's time for me to switch
to Debian, or SuSE. I have had problems in the past with Mandrake, when
trying to upgrade distro versions.

Rich