Suggestions on best distro to install on this box.

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Aug 26 21:24:59 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 5:24 pm, Duane Attaway wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:
> > Right now we have a Win2K box that I am considering installing Linux on
> > (actually not considering - is a done deal, just need suggestions), but
> > I'm not sure which distro might be the best for the need.

> ... for the ease of installing and using diverse multimedia applications,
> I found there is no match for gentoo.

The issue hasn't been addressed specificaly here, but from what I've read I
gather that gentoo does not use the same init and configuration system that
the RedHat line do.  RedHat's pretty much Sys V, with some of the file
structure differnt from SuSE or Deb/Ian lines.

To maintain compatibility with Chris' YellowDog installation, it would be best
for him to choose another RedHat derived installation.

Besides, as we HAVE discussed before, the compilation time required to do a
proper gentoo installation on old hardware is measured in days.  Unless
you're into stuff like watching grass grow and paint dry.

Or travel by canal narrow boats - but that's another story.