Work In KC Area?

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Aug 3 16:14:22 CDT 2003

Aaron wrote:

>> I think you need to recheck your numbers because something is
>> /seriously/ wrong with the above statement.
>
> You may call Scott Burnett, Director of Career Services, Vatterott
> College, Kansas City at 816-861-1000 and verify my numbers.

This I will do. I want to find out what's going on here. I'll call him
on Monday.

>> My partner graduated in June with a bachelors in telecommunications
>
> Your friend is doing something wrong. Maybe he's an ass on the phone?

I assert that he is not. I don't think he could be doing it any better.
Most people I know never even bother to follow up as he has been doing.

>> Meanwhile, DeVry's career dept, the fuckers that produced these
>> imaginary 98% placement lies to get more people sucked in to their
>> three year program,
>
> My stats don't come from DeVry. It amazes me thier students get placed
> at all. How do you turn out an Electronics Engineer that's never used
> a soldering iron? (for another debate)

I was not insinuating that they were. What I merely was attempting to
assert is that colleges (like the one you work for) have a vested
interest is claiming that their graduates have a high employment rate.
Where's there's a motive...

> I stand by my statement that attitude is everything. If your's sucks
> then there's your answer.

This blaming-the-victum-psychology is exactly the source of such apathy.
The fact of the matter is that these 300 to 900 people that are sending
their resume's to EVERY job on the market cannot possibly ALL have
attitude problems. To believe such a thing would require a leap of faith
even larger than the one that is required for us to believe that one
third of employers never get any applications. Employers (and clearly,
you) have their minds in the wrong places: just because someone is out
of work *does not mean that it's their fault or there's something wrong
with them.* Frankly, there is no data support such an assumption --
employers -- at this point -- should be assuming people are out of work
because there's a glut in the market (and as any good economist would
say, should adjust their pay rates accordingly).

I think I'm going to put up a website about this. I had been thinking to
myself recently that it's about time I move on to other employement but
the more and more I hear about the job market, the more I think I'm
lucky to have a job remotely connected to IT at all.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.