The List has returned! [x-adr]

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:54:55 CDT 2003

>From: Scott Smith <scott at roadtoad.net>
>To: Hal Duston <hduston at speedscript.com>
>CC: Kclug <kclug at kclug.org>
>Subject: Re: The List has returned! [x-adr]
>Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:08:22 -0500
>
>Neither. Open means, Free To Do As You Please.
>
>Scott
>
>Hal Duston wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 13:48, Scott Smith wrote:
>>

>>>I understand, and here is my explanation:
>>>
>>>To me, open means open. If something is open in the manner in which we
>>>use with "open source", then that means I can do whatever the hell I want
>>>with it, no rules and no strings attached.
>>>

>>In other words, "open" means "can be closed by someone else later".
>>
>>Right?
>>
>>Not "open" means "must remain open for all time".
>>
>>Right?
>>
>>--
>>Hal

Well- to put my possibily useless commentary into the stew :>

The * free * and * open * terms  are by " Pure Logic " self explanatory.
Sadly logic seldom is pure .

Let's go to Canon for clarification -  Think -  " What would Stallman say "
as ethical litmus paper ?
With the er, Acid test being one of us daring to present this query to him
by e mail... Or not.

My short take is " Avoid Bad Karma"   .

SURE you can filch code not caring if  open or closed , ceases to matter
after the rape is over. even bets on it being shamefully frequent too.

Arguably it would devolve to the battling lawyers before it got settled .

                         The only winner being the lawyers.

And the clear losers would be US who would suffer aftershocks of surely not
~good~  things at minimum.

See the SCO legal fantasy baseball league for a play by play of how such
things go in the end.

My point being simply restated again...

                                    Why would you take something closed ?

Closed has one end point. Ending . As in Closing a Mind ,Closing a Door .
Ending rational thought.

Closed Source has the spiritual inheritance of the Berlin Wall. " Obey or
Else "

Freedom is dependent  upon  responsibility to use it wisely-

Oren Beck

"Envision a world where Bill Gates and Garth Brooks have to send their kids
to public school"