Work In KC Area?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 18:59:34 CDT 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> So come over with it, what school do you teach for?  Who can document that 98%
> figure, and is it in-specialty?  What's the ratio between average starting
> salary and the cost of your program?
>
> Many of us know we need re-training, maybe you have a good deal.

Aaron teaches at Vatterot as he stated in a prior email.

Yes it is tough out there and yesyou should do the things he said to get
noticed.  But you should also work through some of the consulting firms
in town, although the work they have for us highly trained professionals
is usually crap scut work that the full-timers at companies like Sprint
don't want to do (asset management, upgrades from NT to 2000, moving
users, etc.).  I know it sucks because I have and am doing it.  I've
seen those guys sitting on their cans while my crew did the heavy
lifting and did things to get them more organized.  But I was glad I had
that work to do.  it's better than sitting around the house feeling like
crap.  I did that for a month and a half after I got let go.

Getting back to work was the best thing for me, I feel more motivated.
The main thing though is that if you are working you look more
attractive to hiring companies.  I have gotten more interviews since I
have been working.  Try to be helpful and independent while you are on
the contract job.  You may actually get hired full time.  I impressed
several of the guys I worked for at Sprint, because I solved some
problem they had with a Ghost server, I was organized and I got a lot of
work done without it looking like I was worn out or out of sorts.  I was
calm and organized.  It takes a while to be an organized person ( it
took me years), but now a lot of things seem effortless because I can
plan my time well, and people see this.

If someone calls for an interview, be flexible with your time schedule,
but don't be wide open as if you have nthing better to do.  Act
professional, dress professional, BE ON TIME for interviews or be early.
  When you are asked questions in an interview, be ready to give fairly
quick answers (show you  can think on your feet), but do take time to
think over the answer if it is a difficult question.  If you don't know,
say so, sometimes they want you to show you know how to find the answer.
  I actually had an interviewer ask me how I research on the web and
give an example of how/when I had to do it.  Give short, but complete
answers to questions, then ask if they require more detail or
information (don't go off on a history of TCP/IP or the internet if they
ask you how to network 3 PCs together).  I have to stop myself from
thinking out loud or saying too much (I'm sure it has lost me more than
one job opp.)  Don't go into an interview with the attitude that you
aren't getting the job, but confident that you have something valuable
to offer the employer.  Don't be a know-it-all, they want someone who
can work with others in a team and who they can rely on to work towards
a goal WITH everyone instead of by themselves on everything.

Don't lie on your resume, they will find out.  If not in the interview
process then shortly after you start they will realise you can't do the
work or don't know how.  This gives the impression that others in our
industry do this as a common practice.

Don't apply for jobs that are totally beneath your level, because you
are wasting your time.  You will not get hired because they know you
will leave as soon as something better comes along.  But what you can do
  is to pass that job ad along to someone you know it is suited for.  I
routinely point out ads to the contractors I work with if I know the job
is more suited to their skills.  They may be the person that helps you
get your next job.

That's all I can think of right now, but I hope we all find jobs and get
back to normal life soon.

Brian
--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC