off-topic: phone hangups

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Thu May 30 15:31:58 CDT 2002

I spent 2 weeks as a telemarketer, and the best thing I learned was how to stop
getting calls.  The no-call lists are a waste of our tax money.  You simply
need to tell the person on the other end of the phone to put you on thier "do
not solicit list"  This is a federal law, so it doesn't matter what state you
are in.  The call center must remove from all of thier lists in 90 days, and
the merchant must remove you from all of thier lists in the same time period.
If you want to be vigilant, keep a list of the call centers (you will have to
ask), and the merchants and the dates you made the request.  If they ask a lot
of personal questions, you do not have to offer answers to get off the list,
and tell them that.  The automated callers must give you a reasonable way to be
removed from the lists, and if they do not are subject to fines.  If you
continue to get call from the call centers or companies, then sue.  There is a
nearly automatic award granted in most cases with summary judgements, and the
FCC should be notified so they can fine the companies involved.  I get roughly
3 call a week, and always from local companies doing their own calls.  They all
happily remove me from the lists, and I never have to get mad and yell.
Besides keep in mind most of these call centers are manned by college students,
and highschool students.  Do you wnat someone telling off your kid just trying
to make a buck.
--
Jason D. Runyan
Mid-Range Systems Administrator