for the GENTOO crowd

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Wed May 15 16:55:24 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 11:37 am, DAVID KUCHARSKI wrote:
> ok i thought I'd TRY the install.
<snip>
> It seems that there should be at least a step to
> generate the make.profile that I missed.
> like a #make [something here] target or something
> followed by make install and then the rsync.  What am
> I missing?

Gentoo's rsync server has been overloaded due to it's sudden massive growth...
It now only serves rsync mirrors. To get around this, change the SYNC line in
your /etc/make.conf file to this:
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

That'll use the round-robin dns system they have set up to redirect you to a
mirror. Only thing is, earlier versions of Portage (> 1.8.8 I believe) don't
correctly support this, but you can try it on a stage 1 install. If it
doesn't work, you'll need to do a stage 3 install until the Gentoo folks get
around to releasing new cd images.

Rich