for the GENTOO crowd

DAVID KUCHARSKI dave at iemco.com
Wed May 15 16:29:15 CDT 2002

ok i thought I'd TRY the install.

PII 64mb Ram 2 gig HD

I burned the stage 1 install disk and booted from it.
After working through the set up for networking and
the pre install to prep the HD and stuff, I get to the
part where the instructions tell me I'm ready to
emerge rsync and get an error that there is no
make.profile try emerge sync to fix the problem.  When
I try that I get the same message.  If I go to the
directory where make.profile lives, it's there, but
blank.  Am I missing something that isn't in the
install.text that would be rather important? When I
try to use the things like more and less that were
there BEFORE I chroot-ed, they are no longer there and
there is no way I've been able to back up in the
install process so, I've restarted three times trying
things a bit differently each time and carefully
following EACH step in the install with no luck in a
different outcome.  Always a blank make.profile.

It seems that there should be at least a step to
generate the make.profile that I missed.
like a #make [something here] target or something
followed by make install and then the rsync.  What am
I missing?

any help/input from those that have been there would
be appreciated! Thanks