Linux friendly local ISP?

David david at davidarush.com
Tue May 7 13:26:06 CDT 2002

Bradley:

After some experience with a phone company and wiring, I think the term
"split pair" means that the two conductors you're using aren't from the
same twisted pair.  When wiring gets messy, it can sometimes end up that
way, where your "tip" wire ends up coming from one "pair" and your "ring"
wire ends up coming from a different pair.  Shouldn't be that way, but it
happens.  You might not notice a problem with voice, but it can definitely
take a bite out of your bandwidth.

In fact, when I moved into my 50's house in Merriam, I had a second line
put in, and they discovered that the first line's run from the pedestal to
the house was a "split pair".  It was using the tip from one pair and the
tip from the other pair, apparently due to a failed "ring" wire on the
first pair.  They had to bury a new two-pair cable to the house.

Anyhoo, your in-house wiring *could* be limiting your bandwidth, but so
could the wiring beyond the house.  Find the "NID" on the side of your
house (usually a grey plastic box, and sometimes inside the house).  You
should be able to unplug a short jumper which will disconnect all the
in-house wiring.  Drag a *known good* telephone cable from your modem to
the jack at the NID, and see what kind of connection you get.  If it's an
improvement, then it sounds like you could benefit from updating your house
wiring.  And that's a whole 'nuther topic!

David