Linux friendly local ISP?

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Wed May 8 00:11:28 CDT 2002

"David" <david at davidarush.com> wrote:

> the house was a "split pair".  It was using the tip from one pair and the
> tip from the other pair, apparently due to a failed "ring" wire on the
> first pair.  They had to bury a new two-pair cable to the house.

  That's all they buried?  Back when I was a young man, my parents put in
what we'll euphamistically refer to as a 'manufactured home' (on a lovely
concrete foundation with central steel I-beam with a crawl space from which
they proceeded to bolt that mother down, east-central Kansas being known for
tornados and all).  When SW Bell buried the wire for the single phone line
to the new home, the buried 3 separate cables, each of which had multiple
wire pairs in it.  Their reasoning was that the cost of the wire is nothing
compared to the cost of the digging to lay it.