Moving a HD

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Jul 29 22:46:49 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Adam Davis wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with taking a HD with FreeBSD on it and
> placing it into a different computer?  Thoughts on how well it'll be able
> to pick up on the different hardware and adjust?

Mounting it should not be a problem.

They are very easy to mount.  If you want to boot from it, make sure the
kernel and programs are not compiled for a more exotic processor or
hardware than what its going into.  Otherwise, you may find it likes to
reboot or stop earlier than that in the boot process.

You can even copy everything over to a new hard drive after it has been
partitioned.  Be sure to install a bootloader if you want to boot from the
new drive.  In linux, drives are mounted in the list called /etc/fstab.
And that's about all the needs to be done when changing drives.  I had to
do just that this week when my 160GB drive had a head crash.