Moving a HD

Adam Davis ald at dovienya.net
Mon Jul 29 22:56:43 CDT 2002

I don't doubt that it'll mount.

My concern is more that I'll be spending a great deal of time
re-configuring things that got setup automatically at the initial install,
and that it might actually take less time to compress my home directory
(I'm the only user on the machine), copy it to one of the other computers
on the network, and then copy back/uncompress after re-installing with the
new hardware.  Does that sound viable?

I just recall taking a drive with RH7.2 out of one computer and sticking
it in with pretty much the same hardware (aside from a completely
different mobo), and RH's hardware detection (... Anaconda, maybe?)
catching most of the stuff... sort of.  I ended up just removing RH
entirely.  (I could have wiped/re-installed, but then... I wanted to try
Debian ;)

4.5 kernel.... So it'll probably mold itself about to more or less fit
anything new I throw at it, at least enough to start up.  It's all of the
post-start up issues that worry me.

~Adam Davis