job search [aka consulting]

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Jul 26 21:30:18 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <mgoins at kcp.com>

> That seems to be most peoples general perception "a slow transition". My
> thought is why not seize this opportunity  (the current financial market),
> most companies are looking to cut costs as much as possible. Sounds like
> the perfect time to introduce them to Linux and open-source. M$ is doing
> everything they can to kill the beauty that is Linux. I think WE need to
be
> more aggressive, push harder.

They need to amortize their investment in Windows licensing.  It doesn't
make sense to replace something they already have that's already working -
and whining aside, up through NT4 it pretty much does.

The opportunity is to not buy new Microsoft licenses, but to start
implementing any new hardware or software with Linux.

Knowing the users where I work, switching to KDE or Gnome would be like
kicking over a hornet's nest.  These people freak out if a button changes
color, let alone moves to the other side of the screen.  It would be a major
retraining effort to put Linux on the desktop.  Worth it not to go to XP,
but major.

You're right that it's a good  moment though - MS is changing their
licensing plan, companies are seeing the hemorrhaging costs, and will be
planning for the next three years, where they will have to either start
buying XP (or something worse) or switch to non-MS software.  THAT's where
the soft spot is!