Registering/Accounts with online vendors

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Jul 23 01:18:05 CDT 2002

It all depends on how important the data is.  While I keep some personal
finance info on my systems, none of it would warrant someone trying to
use exotic recovery methods to retrieve the data.  There just isn't
enough value in the info to warrant that type of thing.  Most of the
info that could be gleaned from my hard drive could also be found in a
comprehensive credit check.  (Well, all except for my impressive number
of consecutive wins in Freecell!)

Many in the Government services seem to have a overly high opinion of
the information on their systems.  It is usually much easier to retrieve
the information using social engineering methods than it is to
disassemble the drive and chemically treat the media so you can pull the
data back in using a scanning electron microscope.