Registering/Accounts with online vendors

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 01:30:05 CDT 2002

--- Dustin Decker <dustind at moon-lite.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Duane Attaway wrote:
>
> IIRC, folks with secure environments such as the DOE
> have "black hole"
> real estate... these are places into which floppies,
> hard drives, etc.
> go in, but never come straight out without being
> pushed through a
> shredder that can destroy the platters entirely...

Unfortunately, most people don't think in those terms.
When we got new systems at work without 5 inch
floppies, most people thru their floppies away. Guess
they figured a quantum shift had occurred and no one
else had them either.

I policed up a bushel or so and did run them thru the
nuclear powered shredder.

DOE does not always follow such Draconian methods. A
few years ago the Amiga/Atari shop in Independence
picked up a big stack of removable 1 GB 5' FULL height
SCSI hard drives and enclosures. I'm pretty sure they
came from the Allied Signal/Bendix plant.

About a year after that I paid $15 for one at the
local Savers Thrift store. It's slow to spin up, but
works great. It still has DOE stickers on it. I like
to tell people I got it at a garage sale in Los
Alamos.

Best,
Bob Kennedy