"Free" cable

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Jul 17 16:43:18 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Mark Hutchings wrote:

> ---- "Dana" <akadanak at kc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > So is it unethical to buy a splitter and plug the cable into a TV set?
> > I don't think so but to each their own. Nor do I think TWC has a
> > case for theft of services since they deliever it to me of their own
> > free will.
> >

> If you mean plug the cable modem cable into the TV, you'll more than
> likely burn up your TV or short it out. Thats why they run a whole seperate
> cable through your house for your cable modem.

You won't burn anything up.

Its all the same cable.  The cablemodem uses different frequency bands
than television.  Same voltage levels.  Pretty much the same voltage you'd
get off a roof antenna, except cable service is privately routed in their
cable.

Its just that they put notch filters on the line to cut the services you
don't pay for.  Those little round cylinders at the top of the pole
contain a few tuneable inductors and capacitors to block what you don't
pay for.  I wouldn't recommend messing with them.  They wouldn't be happy
when they survey the poles and find yours missing or changed.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150