dynamic DNS and hostname resolution

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Jul 17 01:01:24 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Marvin [GodfatherofSoul] Bellamy wrote:

> I'm slowly setting up my network to host some public services with
> TWC/RR and a dynamic IP.  My firewall will route connections to a web
> server and email server inside my network.  My question is, how do I
> handle resolution of the public hostnames www, mail, etc with DNS?  If
> someone connects to my firewall/router, does IPNAT (and the packet
> routing to the correct server) take over before the DNS query looks for
> the IP of the server?  This is new ground for me, so my question might
> not even be clear.  I can provide more info on my setup if need be.

Firewalling is optional, but from what I hear if the server is to be a
Windows box, that would be a good start...

Apache can do virtual hosting.  Its easy to set up domain names cheap as
$10/year with any number of DNS hosting services with simple web based
forms.  Only one IP address is required...

Mail is going to require its own IP address for each host.  There doesn't
seem to be anything in the RFC's yet to share names.  A way around this is
to use use procmail to seperate the accounts to all those different mail
addresses on that same server.

Ftp, and the rest I haven't tried yet.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150