Back at Square 1

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Sun Jul 14 17:18:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> Hmm... I think I've gotten you all to head way past me.
>
> All I want to do it assign this machine an IP Address so I can see it from
> other machines on my local network. All the machines connected to my

Oh, I don't know much about networking, but if I want to give my machine
number to my first network card, I simply type in the following mumbo
jumbo on the command line:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.105

and before I know it, my box starts listening to that address and starts
responding.  The Net-HOWTO may be a big novel for late night reading , but
searching for the examples can yield some fun experiments.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150