Back at Square 1

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Sun Jul 14 17:38:01 CDT 2002

OK, let me take a step back and draw some topology:

I've got SWBell DSL coming into the house and going into a LinkSys
Router/Switch (4 ports).

Port 1 - Laser Printer
Port 2 - Mac G4
Port 3 - PowerMac
Port 4 - A LinkSys 5 port Hub

Off the 5-Port Hub:

Port 1/Uplink - Back to Router/Switch (port 4)
Port 2 - G3 iMac (The machine I'm on now)
Port 3 - the Linux Box (A PowerCenter 120)

I've got the Router set up to use DHCP to assign IP Addresses on the local
network. I can share the Internet connection and use AppleTalk between all
of the Mac OS machines. I'd like to now be able to use IP to move files to
and from the Linux Box (using FTP most probably). The ultimate goal is to
use it to serve MP3's using software that Lucas has said he's willing to
help me develop. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've used netconfig both ways: I tried assigning the IP manually and I tried
telling it to hit the router via DHCP and get an IP. Both times, the machine
was then unable to ping the router's IP.

I know I'm missing something simple, but I don't know what it is.

The only other Linux Machine I've installed was at work; I installed RH 7.2
on a clean machine and, during the install, told it what the IP should be,
the router's IP, the gateway, etc, etc.

What am I missing here?

-SD