Got a bunch of MP3's?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Jul 4 14:33:58 CDT 2002

It is not about the battle, or even the MP3's.  It certainly in not
about the principles, the RIAA wouldn't know a principle if you shot 'em
with one!!!

It is all about the P/R and the money.  Not yours, but theirs.

Most recording contracts are written so the ARTIST gets their share out
of a precentage of the NET.  This means they get a piece of the PROFITS.
    The more established artists usually have a manager that negotiates
a bigger share, but that is pretty much how it works.

Now, legal fees are an expense and come out of the gross, so even if the
RIAA sues you and loses, they get paid.  The record company just has
less net profit to share with the artist, so it's no pain to them.  Even
if a bunch of artists leave, hey, it's hollywood.  Drag some other poor
urchin off the street that has a smidgen of talent and run 'em through
the star making machine.  (They don' even have to have any real talent.
  Remember Millie Vanillie??)

The recording industry is about PR, Hype, and packaging.  Content is
secondary. (Hmmmm, this is starting to sound VERY familiar!)  If they
sue you and win, (which they will eventually, their lawyers are heavily
funded, and yours will not be!!!) they still may get your house, car,
computer gear and anything else you own.  They will send it all to a
auction house for pennies on a dollar, but YOU will feel the pain.

Also, the press will fall all over themselves reporting another win for
the great recording industry and another loss for the evil pirates,
using standard phraseology from hte RIAA press releases.

It is just a game of chess to them, the score is kept by the accounts,
and the Black king don't care if they have to slaughter a few white
pawns to win.