Got a bunch of MP3's?

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Jul 4 03:17:48 CDT 2002

Am I the only one who thinks this is a lossing battle? I've seen this
played out in software pirating and as soon as they'd attempt to
shutdown/sue one person the files all get transfered to the next and since
the proof of who the files belonged to in the first place is typically
rather iffy they just end up hitting at air. Without any solid evidence
that the person was actually the one serving the files and that they
intended those files to be downloaded the courts seem to just drop the
cases. Even if the RIAA has enough money to bribe the courts they'll still
come out looking like bad guys without having had any major effect.

I hope the bastards sue me. Certainly isn't going to bother me if they do
so. Even if they won what damages do they think they could collect from an
under-employed fairly poor individual? Not enough to pay back their court
costs.

If they really wanted to make a dent they'd hunt down the big traders and
hire them. Give them a job and have them work on stopping the problem or
finding how the RIAA can benefit from the problem. Get inside the mind of
the enemy.

For example I've been trying to get movie companies to release copies of
movies on DVD (no frills.. just the movie) at cost to anyone who has a
valid ticket stub from that movie. For me that'd keep me from pirating
movies and it'd still encourage me to see the movie at the theature and to
buy the fancier collectors edition of movies I liked. I can download or
buy movies as soon as they are released anyway so they may as well benefit
from it. For example we have Harry Potter and Spiderman on VHS tapes we
bought as soon as the movie was out and I have access to hundreds of other
movies online just by poking around IRC.

The girl who stoops to conquer usually wears a low-cut dress.

Michael McGlothlin <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org/projects/