Confused

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Jul 2 04:00:07 CDT 2002

> how do I manually configure a ethernet card on redhat via the command
> console.  I did not install X at all mainly because I didn't care to
> take up the space.. I want to install the drivers mainly.

I know what you mean.  The graphical interfaces these days are
exponentially complex and setting up networking leaves me running back for
the command line ... I just type:

/sbin/dhcpcd

And start surfing the net...

That one command, whether run from any number of linux boot cd's, or a
fully installed system, will configure the card to my cablemodem, set the
nameservers, and all that other fun stuff I used to have to reasearch over
the phone.  I love the command line.  Always simple.  Always there.

Speaking of command lines and the artistic nature of textual interfaces, I
highly recommend the links browser.  Its lynx in 3D, but all tastefully
done in ascii.