hypothetical scenario question

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Tue Jul 2 00:48:52 CDT 2002

Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy wrote:

> I'm just thinking back to my days as a high school computer lab admin.
>  My biggest problem was preventing the kids from screwing up the desktop
> environment.  I know it made me look like a grump complaining about new
> backgrounds, but it made it much easier to tell at a glance when a
> machine had been altered if all the desktops shared the same setups.  Is
> there any way block user modifications to the desktop with KDE?  I've
> never used GNOME.

I believe the "right" way to do this kind of thing is to let all the
users
have accounts in a single-sign-on realm, and run GDM or XDM or something
on
all the lab machines, so they can alter their look-and-feel all they
like
and it follows them.

It's funny that Microsoft pretended that "windows 2000 active desktop"
was such a new idea, especially since it doesn't work as well as
mounting
user systems from a shared file server and having the file system layer
do all the caching, as you get with NFS or even better, CODA.

--
"It is a method of my own: crude but adequate"
                               -- Professor Henry Jarrod