LRP dhcpd problem

bkelsay at comcast.net bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Jul 1 12:22:39 CDT 2002

I use Freesco for my firewall and have had no problems setting up the DHCP
side.  I assume you are not using this for actual firewalling beyond
blocking the multicast or ghostcast from the production network.   When you
run Freesco the first time, type "setup" before the kernel starts to load.
>From the menu of commands you can choose the basic firewall setup and answer
either "y" or "s" when it asks if you want to run DHCP.  "s" is used in
Freesco to mean secure mode, or only inside the firewall.  You don't want to
hand out IPs on the other side.  Then you enter the range of IPs for DHCP to
hand out.  I set this to about 25 hosts or the range 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.25 and that reserves everything above 25 for static IP like a
server.  You can do this in the reverse if you want.  I don't think it could
be much simpler.  One firewall I helped a guy setup w/ Freesco we had
trouble getting one of the NICs to be recognized by Freesco.  I gave him a
10MB 3Com card and all was solved.  The driver for his card was not loaded
by default and I think it got corrupted in our download.  If you have ISA
cards you have to have them set to different IRQs and I/O addresses.  You
will have to boot to DOS and use the mfg. config disk to change this.
Brian Kelsay