Request For Java Comments

Steven Hildreth s_p_hildreth at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 01:44:39 CST 2002

Ok I need to develop cross platform (specifically Windows 2000/XP and
Linux - Redhat Distro) for a project for my employeer.

I am caught between Java and Python.

Looks like to me to get the best cross-platform I/O, Database and GUI
that Java is the best choice. Also looks like Java has the larger
installed base of users, so the opportunity to hire a experienced Java
programmer and the availability of Java tool's and Addons is greater.

I will be using a MySQL backend, and I would like to at some point use a
browser to be able to remotely run the application as well.

I guess I am asking to get honest fact based opinions, not just "Python
Sucks, Java Rules!" or vice versa.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Steven