Changing IP Addresses

Joshua Bergland kclug at mrj412.com
Mon Feb 4 16:07:26 CST 2002

[Off Topic Rant]
I think this is a big problem in Linux, the configuration tools should
work out of the box. The user shouldn't have to remove the tools and
hunt down text files following a HOWTO file. Granted for the techy
people, this isn't too much of a challenge and the documents are usually
well written, but this is part of what drove me back to Windows.

One other thing that drove me back was a lack of software, or actually,
the inclusion of a lot of software that almost meets my needs. For
example, I found that Gnumeric works great and even imported my Excel
spreadsheet, but upon saving it, it couldn't. Doesn't make my use of
Linux easy when I have to boot into Windows just to get some work done.

Last thing: I quickly discovered that RPM dependency hell is worse that
Windows DLL ever was.

Ok, now that I got that out, I want to say that I continue to follow
Linux closely, and am looking forward to giving Mandrake 8.2 a go when
its released. Also, Linux as a server is awesome, and I use it when I
can, but as a desktop, its just not complete enough for me to be productive.

Now, I don't intend for this to be any sort of flamebait, just my opinion...
[End of Rant]

Josh Bergland