Changing IP Addresses

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Feb 4 15:40:26 CST 2002

---- Original Message -----
From: "Rusty" <kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com>

> ... I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried setting
> it from the command line with ifconfig, with linuxconf (gui and
> command line), netconf and netconfig.

And therein lies your problem.  These utilities use different configuration
schemes and overwrite each other.  Configuring network hardware through
linuxconf in particular is a Really Bad Idea.

I suggest, as I have before, that the first thing you do on a RedHat or
Mandrake install is # rpm -e linuxconf.  Then set about configuring your
network according to the Network HOWTO, using the files in /etc/sysconfig
and so forth.