Changing IP Addresses

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Mon Feb 4 16:37:34 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 10:10, Joshua Bergland wrote:

[Off Topic Rant]
I think this is a big problem in Linux, the configuration tools
should work out of the box. The user shouldn't have to remove the
tools and hunt down text files following a HOWTO file. Granted for
the techy people, this isn't too much of a challenge and the
documents are usually well written, but this is part of what drove
me back to Windows.

One other thing that drove me back was a lack of software, or
actually, the inclusion of a lot of software that almost meets my
needs. For example, I found that Gnumeric works great and even
imported my Excel spreadsheet, but upon saving it, it couldn't.
Doesn't make my use of Linux easy when I have to boot into Windows
just to get some work done.

Last thing: I quickly discovered that RPM dependency hell is worse
that Windows DLL ever was.

Ok, now that I got that out, I want to say that I continue to follow
Linux closely, and am looking forward to giving Mandrake 8.2 a go
when its released. Also, Linux as a server is awesome, and I use it
when I can, but as a desktop, its just not complete enough for me to
be productive.

Now, I don't intend for this to be any sort of flamebait, just my
opinion...
[End of Rant]

Josh Bergland

I'm a fairly new linux user, been using it as my desktop computer for
about 3 months now (windows free).  I use applix office for word
processing, kylix for programming, and and evolution for email (both
imap and pop3 accounts).

Really the tools are there, kde and gnome, just need to do some kind of
usability study.  But alas, with less than 1% of the desktop market
being for linux.  Something tells me all the distros will focus on where
they are having greater success.

Anywho, I've jumped all over here so sorry for not staying consistent,
but I have found Webmin .0.92 to have everything you could possible need
to administer for an average linux setup. I've been able to add
permanent and temporary ip's, change host settings, stop and start
services, and look at a bunch of stuff I have no clue about :)  It does
come with a couple of the distro's I used, but not that current of a
version (it came out couple weeks ago).

Just my 2

-Bill

Bill Cavalieri