mounting NFS

John Lindinger jilindi at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 03:56:50 CDT 2002

Okay,

1. On host rhserver1 which contains /data, the exportfs -av yields...

      exporting 172.16.1.0/255.255.255.0:/data

2. On host linux01 which wants to mount rhserver1:/data, the command

      mount -t nfs rhserver1:/data /mnt/rhserver1

   yeilds this...

      mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on rhserver1:/data,
             or too many mounted file systems

The /data partition is supposed to be ext2 but I think that the partition is hosed up
from a dirty shutdown. Here's more detail.

When I "upgraded" from RedHat 7.0 to 7.1 on rhserver1, x became totally hosed, and startx
now reboots the system. On restart, the forced filesystem checks found and fixed problems
on the raid5 partition that holds /data.  The mount command on host linux01 worked before
the 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade on rhserver1. The /data partition is supposed to be ext2 but I
think that the partition is still hosed up from the dirty shutdown.

I just got the RedHat 7.2 CD images and I will be installing (not upgrading it) RH 7.2
onto rhserver1. No serious loss of data, so a fresh install may be best course of action.

Thanks for the help. Using the command line is great once someone shows the way.

John Lindinger

--- Eric Rossiter <rossiter at discoverynet.com> wrote:

> what does exportsfs -a show you?  you should see rhserver1:/data
> -(rw)blah, blah

> I noticed a reference to Linux01 down below... is this the server you're
> exporting from or trying to mount to?
>
> is dada a misspell, or you trying to mount a dir that doesn't exist? Try
> mount -t nfs rhserver1:/data /mnt/rhserver1

 YES "dada" is misspell, should be "data", and was entered correctly at comand prompt.