mounting NFS

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Tue Apr 23 17:08:15 CDT 2002

> > John Lindinger wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello KCLUG:
> > >
> > > I've got a host rhserver1 that has within /etc/exports
> > >
> > >   /data 172.16.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw) # raid5 storage

what does exportsfs -a show you?  you should see rhserver1:/data
-(rw)blah, blah

> > > on my host linux01 logged in as root I try to mount the above as follows...
> > >
> > >  mount rhserver1:/dada /mnt/rhserver1

I noticed a reference to Linux01 down below... is this the server you're
exporting from or trying to mount to?

is dada a misspell, or you trying to mount a dir that doesn't exist? Try
mount -t nfs rhserver1:/data /mnt/rhserver1

oh, and if your trying to mount this directory, on the same machine as
it exists, why would you use nfs? or is /mnt/rhserver1 just the path
name?  You only want to export the dir as an nfs dir if your'e mounting
to another machine on the net, i.e rhserver2,

or, and I may be confused, if /data exists on rhserver1, then just mount
is as ext2 or 3, whatever, and then export /mnt/data as nfs in
etc/exports

then issue exportsfs -a

you should see /mnt/data exported.

then you'd mount it to another box w/ mount -t nfs servername:/dir
/mnt/data

> > > but I get the message...
> > >
> > >   mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Port mapper isn't running.

> > > rhserver1 is in my linux01's  /etc/hosts with correct IP address.
> > >
> > > The connection is good because...
> > >
> > >   ping rhserver1 -c 3
> > >
> > > is successful at resolving the host name and successfully pings the server.
> > >
> > > Anybody got a clue why the mount command fails?
> > >
> > > Thanjs,
> > > John Lindinger

HTH, Eric

P.S.  keep giving me info, and keep trying...we'll get this...nfs is the
one thing in Linux I can do. lol