slackware install from nfs

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Mon Apr 8 17:42:48 CDT 2002

Marvin Bellamy wrote:

> Anyone ever do an install with packages on an NFS server?  I set up an
> NFS server with ProNFS on a windows box.  When I view my exports,
> everything looks fine.  My packages directory is exported as
> /d/slackware.  However, the installer gives me a message indicating it
> can't find the package directories on the NFS server.  It is however
> successfully communicating with the server.

I managed to get an NFS install to work once, when I put RH on an old
Hitachi 133 Laptop.  Everything I read, said to mount the base pckgs and
the RPMS directory.  So, if memory serves me correctly, I mounted the CD
to /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS.  But, NFS kept giving me errors.

I know I'm talking RH, and you're talkin Slack, but my point is, I
finally got it to work by specifying the directory ABOVE where all the
docs told me to look, i.e., point your network installation path to a
directory or two above where you think you should be trying to find said
files.

Like I said, I got it to work once, and not the way docs said it should,
and haven't been able to do it since.   Try working with the path you're
specifying to mount.

HTH,
Eric