spam revisited

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Sep 21 14:59:30 CDT 2001

Mike,

The solution I use for my own person email is to block
all email that doesn't contain my own personal address
in either the TO, or CC header.  This blocks a great
deal of the spam I recieve.  Another pattern I have
noticed is that much spam has a code way over to the
righthand side of the SUBJECT header.  So if we
possibly were able to block email with say 5 spaces
in a row in the SUBJECT, that would also block a great
deal of spam.

Some of the spam received here on the group was
created by a live person on the other end, and sent
directly to the list.  That would be very difficult
to block with out completely closing the list to
posting by non-subscribers.  This would most like
remove most of this type of spam, and all of the
other types of spam since I seriously doubt that
more is done than attempt to send to the given
address in an automated way.

The other difficulty lies in the fact that many
of the headers in a received spam are actually
incorrect.  So, even if yahoo.com is in the FROM
header it might not actually be involved in the
spam in anyway.

On a personal note, I am in the process of migrating
my own email _to_ a yahoo account.

Statistics for list kclug as of Fri Sep 21 09:53:39 CDT 2001

    183 unique subscribers.

    105 unique domains.

     90 domains occuring only once.

Top fifteen domains: