spam revisited

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Sep 21 14:28:39 CDT 2001

At 09:10 AM 9/21/01 -0500, you wrote:

>You could turn on the majordomo feature that requires membership, that will
>at least cut down on it (if you have not already done so).  At least then
>they have to work harder to get the job done. I do this with the Majordomo
>lists I run and they are spam free.
>
>It is the "restrict-post" option and you would set it to "kclug"
>
>The downside is that a member wants to post from a different email address
>(work,home,school) they can't do it.  Small price to pay IMHO.
>
>sj

I believe we brought this up in the past and everyone was up-in-arms about
being able to post where they wanted to.  It was beyond me that someone who
can make linux tick, couldn't figure out how to post from another computer
using the same email account.   Most ISP's nowadays have webmail features
that allow you to check/receive mail with your browser.  I second the
motion that something needs to be done.   You can't cut off all the large
email services though . . . . yahoo, hotmail, aol, etc...   If you look
closely at those, the headers are usually forged or bogus in some shape or
form anyway.   I think locking down to member only will help with all but
the most persistent of spammers, and once they spam -- boot 'em.

-- Bradley Miller