Software Installs

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Wed Oct 31 15:27:27 CST 2001

On Tue, Oct ,  at 06:38:05PM -0600, Don Erickson wrote:
> In article <3BDE1DB2.4F14E409 at kcnet.com> you write:
> >
> >I consider myself a seasoned "newbie" and do ok with Linux and am
> >adapting to gnome now instead of KDE.
>
> Apparently the new programs are not being added to the start menus.  I
> think that Star Office is added to KDE's menus but not Gnome's.  To run
> Star Office go to whatever directory you installed it in and type
> "soffice" to run it.  The binary on the acrobat reader is called
> "acroread", which should be in your path.
StarOffice 5.2 was written when GNome was not fairing well, so the
authors of the Installer did not bother to do anything with GNome.  It
is the software installer's responsibility to add something to the
menus.  I would assume that the installer for v6 will add things to
GNome since Sun has participated in the GNome project, and they are
going to use GNome to replace CDE on Solaris.

If you install Star Office using multi user mode(/net switch) then you
will find the binaries in the directory tree that you specify, and then
the first time a user runs it, you will have a mini install that will
create a directory tree in your home, that will have a link to the
soffice binary.