[Learn-chat] XP vs. Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Tue Oct 30 03:52:19 CST 2001

Brian, I've got to say explicitly what's been the undercurrent of several
threads on this list:  If you're fighting your way to the bottom, you'll
eventually win.  Don't go for the cheap bastards who want to keep running
their DOS apps and not pay for an upgrade since 1982.  Don't go for the
people who are switching from pirating 27 copies of Windows95 off of one
license.  They'll drag you into the gutter and into bankruptcy - I can
document many local businesses who have catered to them and ended up sorry.

Go for the people who know there's something better, and want it.  Yeah,
it's hard to pass up the certain $50 fee for a possible long-term client,
but it's what you have to do.

Let the bastards who don't want to spend on IT sink on their own.  They're
convinced that they know it all anyway, and they're only buying your time,
not your knowledge.  Let them figure out that they can't run on their
brother-in-law's license of Great Plains once GP moves to the XP license
scheme.