DSL help please

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Tue Oct 9 14:34:19 CDT 2001

On Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
"mac ten" <dlegion at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I go over to a DSL modem what if any changes would
> have to be made excluding the isp change, in order to
> get back online with the network ?

If you are working with someone other than SWBell, and you get regular TCP/IP connectivity, you
should be able to just unplug one modem and plug in to the other.

SWBell, and some other DSL providers, use PPPoE instead of Ethernet, and I don't know of any
embedded routers that can handle that.  I've built one Linux box to do firewall/routing over it,
but many protocols, particularly SSH and most VPN won't work.

Why do you want to switch forom cable?