DSL help please

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Tue Oct 9 15:21:40 CDT 2001

> SWBell, and some other DSL providers, use PPPoE instead of Ethernet, and I
don't know of any embedded routers that can handle that.  I've built one
Linux box to do firewall/routing over it, but many protocols, particularly
SSH and most VPN won't work.

When I had SWBell with PPPoE, I was able to use SSH (in and out of the box)
fine.  Never tried out VPN though.

> Why do you want to switch forom cable?

That's a good question.  I've had both DSL and cable and I would definitely
choose cable over DSL anyday.  It's faster and doesn't use ridiculous
protocols like PPPoE to make getting connected needlessly more complicated.

- chuckx || Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -
- http://www.cold-sun.com -