New Linux Machines

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 21:44:29 CDT 2001

> From: Jim Herrmann <b3d at kc.rr.com>

> Subject: New Linux Machines
>
> I have a friend that has an opportunity to get a new
> computer, who has no windows experience.  Therefore,
> since there is no"re"learning curve, I thought I
> would try to steer them to Linux.  They are open to
> the idea of Linux,

snipped part about the system & Mandrake 8.x

> So, I hope that gives a pretty good idea of what I'm
> looking for. Please discuss this on the list, as
> there are probably others on the list that would
like > to hear this discussion.

> Peace,
> Jim Herrmann

Jim,

I'm all ears to hear this discussion. However, I'd
like to add one perameter. In the < a year I've been
using Linux, I've never seen a real discussion of what
distro is the best / easiest for a total newbie. Now
from serfing and mostly lurking on this list, I think
I've decided that Mandrake & Suse are the ones that
Joe Average might be able to use out of the box. Suse
seems to be more in the public eye. I mean I can
usually find it at Best Buy and other mainstream
stores, but I sometimes see Mandrake, too.

I'm thinking of going from my current Red Hat 7 to the
new Suse. I need to know what might happen if I do.
How would my individual users spaces change, for
instance. Would a lot of reconfig be needed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

               Best,

                      Bob Kennedy